- Fall 2010 - Began discussion about students using their personal devices in school during the high school technology committee meetings. This discussion continued at each monthly meeting.
- March 2011 - Administered a BYOD survey to high school and middle school students. The intent of the survey was to determine what devices they owned, what they would be willing to bring into school, and what benefits and potential concerns they saw with a BYOD program.
Copy of survey: Link
Survey result for HS students: Link
- March 2011 - Held several optional staff meetings to discuss BYOD, including concerns, potential benefits, curricular uses, classroom management ideas, and more.
- April 2011 - Administered a BYOD survey to high school parents and middle school parents. The intent of the survey was to determine what they would be willing to allow their children to bring into school, and what benefits and potential concerns they saw with a BYOD program.
Copy of survey: Link
- May 2011 - Ran a one month BYOD pilot at the high school with about 10 teachers. The teachers were asked to incorporate student technology several times over the course of the month. Student use of personal devices was limited to the classrooms of those teachers participating in the pilot and at the discretion of those teachers from day to day. The pilot was very successful.
HS BYOD Pilot Permission Form: Link
- Summer 2011 - Purchased and installed permanent wireless access points throughout high school with enough coverage to support a school-wide BYOD program.
- Fall 2011 - Planned for a school-wide BYOD pilot to begin January 2012. Continued to develop BYOD program through the high school technology committee. Wrote, revised, and completed our BYOD student policies (http://byod.northcantonschools.org/info/student-policy) and FAQs (http://byod.northcantonschools.org/info/faq)
- December 1, 2011 - Initial release of BYOD program to Hoover students, parents, community, and other stakeholders.
- December 6, 2011 - BYOD question and answer session with Academic Booster Club.
- December 8, 2011 - Presentation of final student code of conduct and parent handbook to Faculty Council.
- January 12, 2012 - BYOD pilot program presented to the North Canton City Schools Board of Education.
- January 16, 2012 - Emailed all Hoover parents, students and staff explaining BYOD project, start date. This email included digital copies of student code of conduct and parent handbook.
- January 18, 2012 - Posted BYOD article, student code of conduct and parent handbook on Hoover’s website.
- January 19, 2012 - BYOD question and answer session at certified staff meeting.
- January 23, 2012 - Hoover Highlights, school newsletter, included BYOD summary along with student code of conduct and parent handbook.
- January 24, 2012 - BYOD information presented to high school students in homeroom. Video shown detailing pilot and policies. See video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=S8esnsaoGuw
- January 30, 2012 - BYOD pilot program began school-wide for Hoover High School.
- February 17, 2012 - BYOD training sessions given to high school staff during waiver day. Twenty sessions were offered covering topics including tablets, smart phones, eReaders, wireless access, using student devices as “clickers”, problem-based learning, and more.
- April 2012 - Began preparing for a one month BYOD pilot at the middle school to begin in May 2012. Met several times with the middle school pilot teachers to provide BYOD professional development, discuss rollout, and answer questions. Installed five wireless access points to cover the pilot area.
- May 2012 - Distributed end of year BYOD survey to high school students and staff to evaluate the uses, successes, and challenges of the BYOD program.
Copy of Staff survey: Link
Copy of Student survey: Link